Abigail, a 1 year old Bull Terrier, presented to Dr Alcorn at Care Animal Hospital for not eating, vomiting, and lethargy. She had a history of having eaten foreign material 5 months previous and had successful intestinal surgery at the Emergency Pet Clinic of Temecula.
On physical exam her abdomen area was sensitive to palpation and she was very depressed.
The concern at that time was another incident of having eaten foreign material.
X-rays revealed material in the stomach and gas pockets in the intestine suggesting an obstruction of the small intestines and a stomach foreign body or foreign material.
She was admitted to Care Animal Hospital and placed on intravenous fluids for dehydration and intravenous medications to help with her pain and vomiting.
The next day, new X-rays revealed that nothing passed out of her stomach from the day before and there were continued intestinal gas indicating obstruction. Doctor Alcorn informed the owner, Mr. C., she needed surgery and he elected to have Dr Alcorn perform an exploratory surgery on Abigail.
During a 2 hour surgery, Dr Alcorn made two incisions into the small intestines to remove plastic and cloth material. Incisions were made in the colon to remove more plastic and fabric. The stomach needed a larger incision to remove a one pound mass of ingested plastic and fabric.
Abigail did well throughout the surgery and recovered steadily that afternoon. She remained on intravenous fluids and on numerous medications to help with pain, vomiting and prevent infection.
The next morning Abigail was bright and alert with a waggly tail but still slightly lethargic and tender in her abdomen. By late afternoon, she was much improved and energetic. She was very excited to see her owner, Mr C., who took her home that evening. Doctor Alcorn and the Care Animal Hospital team were so happy to see Abigail recover from all her surgical and medical issues.
Over the next days at home Abigail continued to improve; eating, drinking and playing well.
Presently Abigail is in a protected environment so she cannot get into any more trouble ingesting foreign objects. Mr. C continued to express his thanks to Dr Alcorn and the Care Animal Hospital team for helping his beloved Abigail through a life threatening medical and surgical problem.
We at Care Animal Hospital live by our motto, “exceptional care for the ones you love”.